Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Balancing Act

Where is the line drawn between being strict and firm versus nauseatingly demanding, and fierce, and where is the line between indulging and impartial. It is tough doing the balancing act.
I tried that today, it worked out pretty well, although I'm sure there is definitely some of them who probably hate my guts.
I got the entire class to stand until there was complete silence, and when anyone make any noise, I will make them stand for an additional 5 minutes, and if it extends beyond their dismissal time, so be it.
It actually worked!! I was pretty psyched, at the same time I really hated this entirely foreign feeling. I felt pretty bad about getting them to stand like this, and possibly having them hate me. Yes I know, as teachers, we shouldn't expect to be liked and if need be, we should do it even if they hate us for it.

So anyway, halfway through I felt really bad about it, but I knew I couldn't just relent. So as long as there was about 2 mins of complete silence, I decreased the time they have to stand. I wrote the time on the board to show them I meant business.
And I slowly allowed the certain rows who had been quiet to sit down.

But anyway, for the last 20 mins, itchy mouth me told them you can talk, but keep the volume down.
And chaos ensued.
Strangely, I didn't regret it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment